The Almond Orange Biscotti Is an Italian cookie with a delectable crisp and buttery texture. The combination of the orange and almond flavor is the perfect companion to serve alongside a hot cup of coffee or tea.
- 2 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour*
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 stick butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons orange zest, no white bitter pith
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 1/2 cups whole almonds
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Sift together flour and baking powder and set aside.
- Pour sugar in a bowl and add melted butter and salt. Stir in eggs, vanilla extract, orange zest and almond extract.
- Place dough in freezer for about 30 minutes to make it easier to handle.
- Divide dough into 3 equal pieces.
- Place parchment paper on a 9 x 13 inch baking pan. Shape dough into logs nearly entire length of cookie sheet. Place well spaced apart on cookie sheet. If dough is sticky make your hands slightly wet to prevent sticking.
- Bake in oven until center is set, about 33 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool for 20 minutes. Meanwhile reduce oven temperature to 250°F.
- Using a serrated knife cut logs diagonally into 1/2 inch slices and place on cookie sheet.
- Return to oven until cookies are nearly crisp about 25 minutes. Once cold, cookies will become completely crisp.
(Recipe developed for Imperial Sugar)